Internship: Finance – Mergers & Acquisitions
Type: Internship – Not suitable for Thesis
Length: 6 months (preferably)
Time: 40 hours/week
Expected Start Date: January 4, 2021
Application Deadline: September 30, 2020 – Business Interviews will take place at beginning of October.
In this role, you have the opportunity to
Assist in advising Philips’ businesses on their acquisitions and divestiture programs, hereby advancing Philips transformation journey as a global leader in Health Technology.
The position provides a unique opportunity to experience M&A from a corporate value perspective in a very experienced M&A team, with a global scope. You will have to cope with high pressure, working with big teams and operating independently. Responsibilities rapidly increase for those who perform well.
You are responsible for
- Assisting the M&A advisory and deal execution process from start to finish, including valuation and financial analyses (DCF and multiples), assisting/ managing due diligence processes, project management, drafting of marketing materials
- Preparing presentations for the Board of Management, alongside with people from the Markets and Business Groups
- Performing company research and industry benchmarking using various databases (e.g. Capital IQ, Bloomberg, Pitchbook)
You are a part of
The global deal team of Philips M&A is comprised of ~20 specialists and is responsible for advisory on the entire execution process of different types of deals (buy-side and sell-side, joint ventures, large, midsize and smaller deals). You will be part of the deal team in Amsterdam (~8 people) where you will be working hand-in-hand with the integration and disentanglement teams and with colleagues based in Cambridge (Boston, USA) and Shanghai (China).
In recent years, Philips M&A has successfully completed +30 international M&A transactions including, in 2016, the IPO of Philips Lighting (EUR 4.5 billion) and the sale of Lumileds (EUR 2.0 billion). Philips is looking to use these cash proceeds to acquire companies in the Health Technology space. Since 2017, Philips announced 30+ transactions, ranging in size, from start-ups to mature companies and from a few million to a few hundred million (e.g. the acquisition of EPD Solutions) to more than a billion (e.g. acquisition of Spectranetics Corporation).
To succeed in this role, you should have the following skills and experience
- An excellent academic track record (preferably in Economics, Finance, or Econometrics)
- A genuine interest in corporate finance, valuation and financial markets
- Current enrollment in a MSc program
- Highly analytical mindset and a strong professional drive
- Strong and open-minded team player who can work with various nationalities and cultures
- Modelling experience in Excel and neat PowerPoint skills
- Fluency in written/spoken English (Dutch is not required)
- Relevant financial internship experience is preferred
In return, we offer you
On top of a competitive internship compensation, Philips M&A provides you a unique opportunity to experience M&A from a strategic, broad and diverse corporate perspective.
Why should you join Philips?
Working at Philips is more than a job. It’s a calling to create a healthier society through meaningful work, focused on improving 3 billion lives a year by delivering innovative solutions across the health continuum. Philips is on a very exciting transformation journey to become an even more focused Health Technology leader. M&A is a crucial part of this journey and you can be part of that!
Visit the Working at Philips page on our career website, where you can read stories from our other young professionals. Once there, you can also learn about our recruitment process, or find answers to some of the frequently asked questions.
Please note that in order to be considered for an internship, you need to be registered as a student during the entire internship period. Formal documentation of which may be requested at any time. Students from outside the EU need to fill in an NUFFIC agreement, which needs to be signed by the student and the university. Please note that the contents of our regular internship assignments are not suitable for professionals (and/or MBA students) with professional work experience.
Do not wait any longer and apply now for the vacancy! See the button below and continue the application process.